Web

Default Formosa 51 / Hudson Force 50 / Vagabond 47

I am sorry for doing this, but I will post my real name and boat name to
show I am not hiding from my statement. Web Barton, Formosa 36 Ghost,
currently docked Alameda. I live in coast north of Santa Cruz
Ace High is an Idiot. Capital I. My background: Commercial Fisherman for
many years, including winter Bering Sea crab fishery, West Coast Dungeness
fishery, West Coast Urchin Fishery,Pacific Tuna fishery (midway and pago
back to west coast) blah blah blah. Dive boat/ surf charter operator
Australia/Indian Ocean. Surfer, over 25 years. Certified diver since 1978
(I am 40) 100 ton master (big deal) Former GM Marathon Boat Yard, Florida
(100 ton lift)The point is, I have been around the water. Alot. And I have
been in bad weather. What about you, Ace? Lets hear it. Wow, nine whole
years cruising? I have hauled and repaired HUNDREDS of boats. I bought my
36 Formosa at 24 years old.(sixteen years ago) It was all I could afford.
I have since cruised Canada to panama canal, crossed caribbean to florida,
and hawaiion that little boat. Big deal ,lots of folks have done WAY more.
But here is my point, my little Formosa did just fine. And i think I was
out of VHF range. Yes, they have some problems. But they are all fixable.
All boats have problems. And all boats have positives. You get what you
can afford, aquire as much knowledge as you can, and enjoy your time on
the water for what it is: a blessing. I have cruised down to Costa Rica
side by side with a McGregor 26. I have seen bulkheads pop on US boats.
You just do the best you can with what you have got. I have gone to many
places that crews on bigger more pedigree boats were freaked out for
whatever reason and I was just fine. I am sorry for the rant, this guy
just ****es me off for making such a blanket statement, I would really
like to see what kind of a WATERMAN he really is (if he even knows what
that means)
So... to be positive.. If the guy who asked the first question is still
reading this thread and wants some good info, I know these boats really
well. I am actually flying China in a few months to look at a new 56.
(yes, I am considering another Formosa)I know the history of the Yard,
etc. I'll look to see if he is still reading...