Terry Spragg

Default Over charging

rock_doctor wrote:

"C.Lohnes" wrote in message
. ..

I installed 2 batteries using the 1-2 all switch and now my volt gauge

reads

+14 when i am at high rpms ,Is this normal ?

Yea, 13.7 to 14.2 is normal charging voltage. Just make sure you never
switch batteries when the engine is running, the alt puts out rectified DC
and w/o a battery connected when the engine is running the rectified DC can
fry electronics.

mark

Passing through the "both" position to change batteries will not
hurt. Properly wired field control terminals present on good
quality battery switches will prevent alternator damage from turning
batteries off while running the engine, buy stopping the excitation
in the field rotor before opening the battery line. Electronic
controlled alternators should not burn out even if the battery is
disconnected while running, but don't trust this unless you know
your alternator will survive for sure. I consider this unreliable.
An alternator might survive several switch-off occurrences, but then
fail on the next one. Don't think that surviving one or two is any
reassurance, especially since damage to only one alternator diode
may go unnoticed by the uninitiated, apprentice tech, until the
battery goes tits up.

A good over voltage (15 volt) surge supressor should protect even
sensitive alternators. Surge suppressors have a habit of failing
unnanounced, going AWOL if you will, deserting their alternator
buddies to strange fates. Even a relatively small voltage spike may
damage other electronics if you turn off batteries while running the
engine, dependant on wiring.

Terry K