Scott Bachelor

Default Forward Looking Scanning Sonar Mounts

Jere,

The ability to trasmit and receive thru the hull would be a great feature,
but to get the beams looking forward through the hull will be difficult.
The hull material will severely degrade the acoustic signal and not allow us
to produce the high resolution images. We are trying to minimize the size
of the transducer to allow easier placement of the unit.

Thanks,

Scott
"Jere Lull" wrote in message
In article ,
"Scott Bachelor" wrote:

I am working with a company (www.blueviewtech.com) to commercialize a
low-cost high-definition imaging system. I am looking for
feedback/suggestions from boaters who have experience with other FLS

type
sonar. In particular, I am interested in your experience with the
different mounts (transom vs. thru-hull) for these system. This

feedback
will be very helpful in shaping the companies first recreational boating
high-definition imaging sonar product.

Add, or market, a third option: Shooting through the hull. Most of the
time, we want the sensor forward, but not put a hole in the hull. Most
transducers work if properly sealed to the hull; you'll want to ensure
yours does.

A particular need is to see just in front of the boat and 4-8' down -- a
close to horizontal pattern. The only use I can see is when I am trying
to nose into a narrow channel. Anything deeper than the keel is safe.

And it should transmit NMEA info for relay on other instruments.

Other than that, be careful not to advertize the product here if/when it
comes to market, as that's a no-no.

--
Jere Lull