Matt Colie

Default self stepping my mast.

Rick,

You have included no hint what the boat is. Is the mast stepped on deck
or the keel?

There is a good chance that you could find help here or in the sailnet
builder or boat specific groups.

Someone in the S2 group trails his 9.2 and steps the mast with the boom
as a ginpole. I use the spinnaker pole on mine. Both of these boats
step on deck.

The disadvantage of using the boom and raising the the mast from forward
of the step is that there is less boat to stand on. Actually, the only
thing I have to undo is the head stay. The boat has swept spreaders.

You don't need a galvanized trailer to shore launch, but you do need to
pay attention to the running gear that has to go swiming - like the
brakes and bearings. If the lightbulds are not not in silicon grease
(dielectric grease from the carparts store), they are probably lost
cause already.

A tabernacle is a good word for the big things that many boats used to
have, but a hinge step may be all you need and the company the did the
spars may already have one for that section.

If I can be any more help, I'm here alot.

Fair Wind and Smooth Sea

Matt Colie A.Sloop "Bonne Ide'e" S2-7.9 #1
Lifelong Waterman, Licensed Mariner and Pathological Sailor

rick wrote:
I have found I can trailer my 29ft sailboat just fine and I can wetlaunch
once I get the trailer galvanised but stepping and un-stepping the mast
poses a problem in areas where there is no crane. If I make a tabernacle I
need a ginpole or some way to get the mast through the 20-60 degree angle
where I can't reach it and where the angle is insufficient for the forstay
to lift it.
Does anybody have any experience stepping their own mast?

I have heard that using the boom as a ginpole might work but???
rick