Default self stepping my mast.

Our sailboat is much smaller, a Catalina 22, but here's how we do it.

We've expanded a bit on the procedure "Scout" uses (below). We run a =
line
from another winch on the trailer bow post to the jib halyard. This line
goes through a block at the top of an extension to the trailer's bow =
post.
The extension places the block 13' off the ground thus providing a much
improved angle when the mast is nearly horizontal.

Mast raising is very quick and with minimal overhead because the trailer
extension is permanent and always ready to go. I'm not sure this system
will work for your much larger boat. But we sure like it and use it =
almost
every week (and we're mid to upper 60's).

Good luck,

LB

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 10:53:06 GMT, "Scout" =
wrote:

I've stepped my mast by myself, but it was a bitch (and my mast is only =

27
ft). The range you mention is the worst too, because that is where I =

must
step up from the cockpit to the cabin deck - not easy. And until the =

mast is
nearly erect, the side stays are too loose to offer any side to side
support.
The best system I've found is using two people (minimum). I leave all =

but
the forestay connected. I extend the boom support line with a temporary
line fitted with a quick disconnect, and have the second person stand at=

the
bumper of my truck and keep tension on that line, which helps to lift =

the
mast and gives me the chance to step up on the cabin deck without the =

full
weight of the mast on my shoulder. I also carry two truck ramps, and =

while
I'm rigging, I back the trailer up the ramps, which tilts the boat =

slightly
'downhill' and lets gravity help to hold the mast in place while we =

secure
the forestay.
All in all, it's a pita, and the reason I keep the boat in a marina.
You might look into the mast raising system the Mac26 uses, perhaps you =

can
adapt the idea to fit your needs.
http://www.macgregor26.com/mast_raising.htm
Scout

"rick" wrote in message
I have found I can trailer my 29ft sailboat just fine and I can =

wetlaunch
once I get the trailer galvanised but stepping and un-stepping the =

mast
poses a problem in areas where there is no crane. If I make a =

tabernacle I
need a ginpole or some way to get the mast through the 20-60 degree =

angle
where I can't reach it and where the angle is insufficient for the =

forstay
to lift it.
Does anybody have any experience stepping their own mast?

I have heard that using the boom as a ginpole might work but???
rick