Jim Thompson

Default Electric power system for a small sailboat?

I am refitting a 17' Siren sailboat that has a 5 HP outboard motor. I
plan to put a 12V deep cycle battery aboard for VHF, sounder, lights,
etc. Can anyone point me to any do it yourself websites that discuss
this issue in particular?

I am interested in findiing out more about:
1. Battery size (~120 Ah should be more than enough).
2. Charging concepts (solar, outboard). Willl probably be leaving the
boat in the marina, and might not have shore power.
3. Battery monitoring. Since power requirements are low, I do not
want to spend a lot on expensive monitoring devices.

Jim