Jeff Morris

Default Bought a Reinel 26'

"Donal" wrote in message

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message

"Donal" wrote in message

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
Now that is *not* nice.

I disagree.

Jim has been very polite in the face of the most incredible abuse.

Peter Wiley has tried to tell us that his opinion should hold sway over
Jim's because Peter, (and soon), his son have college degrees. This
argument makes no sense at all. In fact, if someone has to invoke their
"degree" as proof of their intelligence, then I would assume that they

are a
bit inadequate.

Jeff has poured scorn on the 200 gallon claim, and yet Jeff has not had

the
courage to state what he thinks that the real figure is.

What a cowardly piece of **** you are Donal.

I think that you worry too much about being proved wrong. Read on, and I
bet that it won't feel too awful when you see how misinformed your posts
have been.

OK, we'll see.

BTW Do I get a prize for being the victim of the worst ad hominem of the
month?

Or maybe you'll get it for being the biggest jackass. Let's see how you do:

Almost 48 hours before your post I
responded to Jim:

" What is your estimate, Jeff?

"Gee that's a tough one Jim. How about 6 inches wide by 6 feet long by

one foot
draft? That gives a pretty conservative 3 cubic feet. I suspect it may

be half
of that, or less. And the amount of drag created by the trunk is reall

not that
large."

I owe you an apology, Jeff. I really didn't think that you were making a
serious guess. I thought that you were making a wild uninformed assumption
in an effort to wind Jim up.

No, this was a quite serious exercise. I was showing that in about 3 seconds
you can find a reasonable upper limit for the volume of a centerboard trunk
that's about a tenth the size that Jim quoted. That's the way someone trained
in physics and math would do it; that's what I would have expected Jim to do,
especially after the obvious blunder had been pointed out to him.

BTW, on July 19th, two weeks ago, I said that 200 gallons is over 26 cubic feet.
I shouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that 26 cubic feet on a 26
foot boot that only draws one foot, implies a trunk running the entire length a
foot wide. Does that make sense to you? Jim read that post, because he
responded to it, but he chose to keep repeating the absurd claim.

Jim's claim of 200 gallons was off by at least a factor of 10, maybe 20 or

more.

I don't think so. Perhaps you would care to look at the specifications?
http://www.russellsmarine.com/mac/update.htm

What spec is it that you're talking about? Is it where they say "The
conventional centerboard trunk carried about 100 lbs of water; the new trunk
carries virtually none." So how much is 100 pounds of water? At 8 pounds to
the US Gallon, that's just about 12.5 gallons, which is about 1.67 cubic feet.
So Jim was off by a factor of 16, I said "at least a factor of 10, maybe 20 or
more". I'd say I was bang on, given that I was using a guess as to the width of
the trunk.

Anyone who had really taken a considerable amount of physics and math as

Jim
claims should be able to see the problem with this number in about three
seconds. Jim is either a liar, or he's too lazy to think for a few

seconds.
Only he knows the truth, but he was simply trying to deflect my criticism

with
his nasty comment.

Think about it Donal, Jim was claiming the centerboard trunk on a 26 foot
sailboat is 10 times larger than your fuel tank! Does that make sense to

you?
What would your guess have been?

Well, I'd guess about 110 gallons, which would mean that you were more than
4 times more inaccurate than Jim.

I was bang on with my educated guess, you're almost as ludicrous as Jim! 110
Gallons is just a bit larger than 12.5 gallons, don't you think, Donal?

My guess is based on my interpretation of the boat's specification sheet,
which claims 1300 lbs of ballast. 300lbs are fixed, and 1000 lbs is water.
I assume that the figures refer to salt water, and that sal****er is a bit
heavier than fresh water, so that leads me to conclude that there is about
110 US gallons of water involved.

What are you talking about Donal? This is water in the centerboard trunk we're
talking about, not the water ballast! Two completely different things. No
wonder you're so confused here. It's beginning to look like you will get that
Jackass of the Year Award.

OK, its not as bad as confusing the Constitution for the Constellation! Perhaps
I should have strung you along a bit more.

Frankly, I didn't think the "200 gallon" number was particularly

significant,
except the Jim has had this pattern of quoting bogus numbers and then

denying he
ever did it. He has even asked several time that we point out examples of
outrageous claims:

"Really? And could you be just a little more specific? Like, if I posted
all those "ridiculous and false" claims, could you cite a few of them?
(And please quote my own words. - No paraphrases or caricatures.)"

I just figured I was helping Jim as he wished.

I figure that your accusation that he was out by a factor of "10, maybe 20
or more" was based on pure prejudice.

You can "figure" however you want, but we've just seen that my "accusation" was
actually quite correct. There was no prejudice at all on my part. Actually,
the simple calculation I did could have been done by almost anyone here, except,
apparently, you and Jim.

On the other hand, you've shown that you're so blinded by prejudice against me
that you forgot the difference between a centerboard trunk and a water ballast
tank.

It is most unedifying to witness a catamaran owner looking down his nose at
a Mac owner.... especially when he is incapable of checking his facts before
spouting off.

I've said a number of times that this may be the proper boat for Jim. My only
objection has been his misrepresentations of the facts. This has simply been
another case of that.

And once again, Donal, you were completely wrong, it was you who was incapable
of checking the facts, not I. I think an apology is in order here ...

Regards

Donal
--

PS I feel a really good ad hominem coming my way - instead of the apology
that I am owed!

Why would you say that? I'm the one who has been maligned here.