Old Nick

Default Antifouling paint reacts with gloss paint. ARGHH!

On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 09:29:19 -0700, P.C. Ford
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Any idea's??? apart from taing plenty of petrol for the VF of course! I
can't be the only dummy to have done this.. can I?
regards
Stu K

No primer under bottom paint.

So does the bottom paint _provide_ a primer coat? I certainly never
thought of it like that.

Having said that, the boats I have antifouled have been two-packed. I
did not apply gloss to the bottom, as it was a waste if time. But they
were primed and undercoated.

I see some incosistencies here (the whole thread. Not just that bit).

The gloss lifted under the bottom paint (or did the whole lot lift?).
The manufacturer says to apply primer, _then_ bottom paint, then
gloss. But what about next year, or 6 months from now in some places?

In the end I guess the only safe way is to use a "system" or get
assurances from makers that their paints are compatible.

It's not the milk and honey we hate. It's having it
rammed down our throats.