P.C. Ford

Default lifespan of tugboats?

On 1 Aug 2004 13:32:06 GMT, (William R.
Watt) wrote:

I was looking thorough regulatory filings on a company which owns some
tugboats in Freeport in the Bahamas and read that these tugboats have a
life expectancy of 5 years.

I've seen similiar figures. I've read that supposedly Chris boats were
build for a 6 year service. No real proof or source is given with this
information.

I've owned and worked on Chris boats that are nearing sixty years of
age without major rebuilding.

That seems a bit short, esepcially after all
the hassle I've got in this newsgroup over using exterior grade plywood
with a life expectancy of maybe 10 years.

Exterior plywood? I recall you were building with 1/8 inch doorskins.
And bragging about building a boat for $17.35. (Canadian) And that was
after rigging up a boat from polyethylene barrels. Stuff like this
makes dogs howl and young children cry.

We see some progress, I gather. Glad to see that you are considering
using other criteria than cheapness for your boats.