Steve Smith

Default Conserving food without a fridge

"Gordon Wedman" wrote in message news:kwxOc.30$T_6.16@edtnps89...
Unless you see mold growing in there I don't think this storage method will
develop any toxins. The oil might go rancid (oxidize) and taste/smell
pretty foul but if you wash this off I think the cheese would be fine. I
think cheese can also be preserved by coating with wax. You dip cold cheese
into melted wax a few times to build up a layer. Sodium silicate
("waterglass") has been used to preserve eggs but flash boiling, as
mentioned, is less messy. I have read that eggs straight from the chicken
house are most easily preserved. Something about them retaining a natural
coating which is washed off the store-bought versions.

I think Mother Earth News probably carries articles on preserving foods but
I've not actually looked.
http://www.motherearthnews.com/

Hi

Thanks for your comments. Found the following two articles, quite old
but relevant, from the site:-

Article about fruit and vegetable preservation; storage, drying and
canning, from 1971, -
http://www.motherearthnews.com/index...ge=arc&id=5258

Also another from Pat Kenoyer, from 1975

http://www.motherearthnews.com/index...ge=arc&id=4560

Regards

Steve

Remove defcv if replying by email.