Jere Lull

Default Garmin eTrex or Magellan Meridian GPS or other suggestions?

In article ,
Mike_H wrote:

Let me expand a bit on why I
think a GPS would be helpful, along with some of my experience, and
anyone who would like to offer additional insight into these GPS units
is very welcome!

To sail from Toledo to the islands in Lake Erie, such as the Bass
islands, Kelley's, etc., I've got to sail out of sight of land for a
good portion of the trip. I can plot my course on my charts using my
boat speed indicator and compass to calculate distance and direction,
but as backup and confirmation I thought a GPS that displayed
navigational aids and coastal information would be helpful.

Bingo, you have the right reasoning. We've been using a Garmin 48 for 6
seasons and though I thought I'd never use the light list, it's proven
to be the a useful feature while going new places.

All that said, I was looking at the eTrex (or the GPSMAP 76c) and the
Magellan Meridian Marine as possibilities.

I don't think the screens on handhelds are big enough to do mapping
well, and it'll be too easy to look at the little picture, which could
be wrong, instead of looking out the window, despite your best
intentions.

--
Jere Lull