John Fereira

Default What do you think about Current Design Storm

"Kenneth McClelland" wrote in

Don't bet that we are experienced. The group leaders are very competent
but the rest of the group varies. I am in my second year of kayaking
and have most of my experience on the rivers around Pittsburgh - the
biggest waves I see are from boats. The Erie trip was my attempt to
gain a little experience on some bigger water. I am trying to get my
skills up so that I can make some of those dream trips you mention. I
think I am at the point where I need my own boat so that I can get very
good with one boat. I am looking to get out on some ocean trips next
year - I think the Outer Banks would make a good trip or a dozen or 2
places from Maine on up.

The Outer Banks is a very good destination for a paddling trip as it offers
a variety of conditions. On the sound side there are lots of protected
areas. If you launch near the north end of Currituck sound out of Whalehead
there is lots of water to explore to the north and you'll see few other
boats. You could spend a week or more exploring all the areas on the sound
side or go on the ocean side and play in the surf. The hatteras area is a
very good spot for kayak surfing and has an annual tournament.

Check out Pam Malec's (she used (may still does) run the boating operations
out of Kitty Hawk Sports) book: Guide to Sea Kayaking in North Carolina.