Gordon Wedman

Default Conserving food without a fridge

Unless you see mold growing in there I don't think this storage method will
develop any toxins. The oil might go rancid (oxidize) and taste/smell
pretty foul but if you wash this off I think the cheese would be fine. I
think cheese can also be preserved by coating with wax. You dip cold cheese
into melted wax a few times to build up a layer. Sodium silicate
("waterglass") has been used to preserve eggs but flash boiling, as
mentioned, is less messy. I have read that eggs straight from the chicken
house are most easily preserved. Something about them retaining a natural
coating which is washed off the store-bought versions.

I think Mother Earth News probably carries articles on preserving foods but
I've not actually looked.
http://www.motherearthnews.com/

"Steve Smith" wrote in message
om...
Hi all

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. I have actually read
most of the books mentioned - Hill's, most of the Pardey's, a couple
of Smeeton's etc. great books and all recommended but I will look for
Roth's and Beebe's and Rogers. I have limited time on the Net and
value the comments of people in this group, and I did look on the Net
for techniques some time ago with little success. I think that many of
the skills and techniques from the past for preserving food may be
being lost and I am interested in finding any that could relate to
cruising. I intend hopefully to have at least an icebox but would like
to have the knowledge to conserve/preserve food as a backup.

The container was just a standard glass preserving jar with a rubber
sealing ring and clip. The oil was normal vegetable cooking oil from a
supermarket filled to as near the top as possible. It looked as if the
cheese would last about a year in those conditions as it had not
deteriorated significantly and there was little penetration of the oil
into the cheese or the cheese into the oil. Is there any possibility
that toxins could build up due to the reaction between the two? I am
not a chemist or food technologist but I am still alive after tasting
the cheese!. I do realise the effects of motion and temperature could
affect the results quite a bit, perhaps a more viscous medium would be
more immune to these? I was wondering if other food items have been
preserved similarly that is not common knowledge?

Thanks again for all your comments.

Regards

Steve

Remove defcv if replying by email.