Lloyd Sumpter

Default On Topic: This really sucks

On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 16:25:13 +0000, jps wrote:

In article ,
says...

Never been fishing for dungeness crabs. Rod & reel, flyrod or ...surely not
crabpots.

On the off chance you're serious, the litte buggers can actually be reeled
in...using a stinky piece of chicken or other bait tied to a line. They're so
stubborn "they won't let go to save their lives." You can only do this in
shallow water since you have to be able to see them to dangle the bait.

In Canada, that's illegal. Saw some natives do it (laws, esp. fishing laws,
don't apply to them). The crabs would let go just before breaking the surface,
so they used a long-handled net to scoop them in.

There were also snares for sale for awhile before it was pointed out that that
is illegal too.

But my Lady loves "fishing" for crabs with a crabtrap - we usually toss one out
whenever we're overnighting in a bay, and usually get some: either dungeness or
redrock, which are smaller but very tasty!

Lloyd Sumpter