David Pendleton

Default What happens when a belt breaks?

That's actually what I meant by my question. I sometimes make 45+ mile runs
on L. Superior. Between the wind and the engine noise, I wasn't sure I would
hear a problem if the belt broke.

I suspect I'd lose my power steering. I do have a temperature alarm, so I
guess I would have to rely on that.

Thanks.

Dave

"Insomniac" wrote in message
Yes, engine overheats. If it's a newer boat an engine alarm will sound.

My
2001 Maxum had a misaligned pulley when I purchased it. Belt came off

about
half a dozen times. The engine manual showed a completely different belt
configuration but I figured it out eventually. I made my own diagram in

the
back of the book. Got pretty fast at re-looping the belt by the time my
dealer got it fixed. It taught me how reliant you are on the belt and I
always carry a spare now!

"David Pendleton" wrote in message
Hello all.

I have a Mercruiser 5.7L EFI. This engine has a rather large serpentine
belt. I have a spare, but I've never broken one.

What happens when this belt breaks? Loss of power steering? Electrical
power? Worse?

Thanks all.

--
ROT-13 my email address to reply directly