DSK

Default Oil filter vs fuel filter?

Gfretwell wrote:

It occurred to me the other day as I was shelling out almost $30 for a spin on
fuel filter that this thing looks suspiciously like a $2.99 oil filter. Other
than the threading on the base, what is the difference?

The difference is in the porosity & pressure differential. The fuel filter is
designed to let a thinner (less viscous) fluid flow at a higher rate while
trapping smaller particles.

If you can't afford new fuel filters fairly often, you really can't afford a boat.
They're not that expensive and they prevent a lot of much more expenive repair.

You cut one open and
they certainly look like the same stuff inside.

Usually the Mark 1 eyeball is not calibrated for discriminating 5 micron 90gpm
filter elements from 30 micron 10gpm filter elements. YMMV

It also has nothing to do with
the can itself since Perko fuel filter are made from mild steel that rusts up
very quickly if you don't paint them. I prime and paint mine before I install
them and still don't get a year out of one before it starts bleeding rust from
somewhere.

If you're using a fuel filter for more than a year, you're destroying your engine
anyway.

Fair Skies
Doug King