Bart Senior

Default Seamanship Question #8

I never got your email. What address did you use? My old one?

Jeff Morris wrote

You could have mentioned that I included this answer when I emailed you

the
answer to 6. ;-}

"Bart Senior" wrote

This is a question right out of the USCG exams.

The CG answer is D. Screw Pin shackles.

I assume it's because these are more secure.

Joe wrote

"Bart Senior" wrote
When making up a tow connection, you should
use: [1 pt]

a) Safety Hooks
b) Plain eye hooks
c) Round pin shackles
d) Screw pin shackles

When towing anything over 25,000 tons I prefer to use a Pelican hook
made for 6 " chain. The six inch chain is long enough to clear the
stern roller. The chain has a wormed screw shackle that is attached to
the 5" samson braid hauser. I like to have at least 1/4 mile of hauser
prefer 1/2 mile. The end of the hauser is attached to a two point
bridle that usually uses round pin shackles to attach to the towed
item.

I like the pelican hook on deck just incase you trip the tow. Or the
tow sinks. No sence in getting pulled under or over.

Joe