plugster

Default Yanmar saildrives and other options

Hello DSK,

I took another look at the actual sail drives including the insides and they
look great. I have also found new direct replacement engines of the same
size for $3995 each. So I think I am just going to replace the engines only
and overhaul the saildrives. This will keep the same weight and power but
at least they will be new engines and the cost is less then 1/2 of going
with the new engines and drives.

I was and still am planning on adding bigger tanks.

Thanks for you input.
Mark

"DSK" wrote in message
Given the cost of rebuilding AND reinstalling them, this may not be the
best use of funds.

plugster wrote:
I can easily reinstall them myself in about a day each. I have done

this
type of work before.

Yeah, it's not rocket science but it can sure be a PITA. Getting all the
auxiliaries hooked up is the touchy part, and time consuming too.

If you can doa significant part of it yourself then IMHO that tilts the
equation towards rebuilding/reinstalling the old engines. Shopping
around for a diesel shop is a catch-as-can process. I wish I had some
good advice.

If it really is a "bolt-in" replacement then that may be the best way to
go , in terms of utility/cost comparison. I'm sceptical of the "bolt-in"
part though, it never goes that easy.

I am also a bit sceptical and am sure there will be a few problems

fitting
them. But others have done this swap and have said it was simple and

took
less than a day with 2 people.

Then it's a question of time/money. You have a number of other projects
to get on with, so the less time you spend futzing with this, the sooner
you're sailing. It may be that it's worth the higher price for new
engines, and you'll spend less time monkeying around with the reinstall.

The 40 hp version is only 1.5 inches longer and 2.5 inches wider....
The 40 hp engine also has a larger drive and a larger prop. It is my
understanding that this also makes the drive a bit more efficient so

there
is more like a 20%+ increase in speed for the 38% increase in power and

fuel
consumption. One other advantage of the 40 hp is that it develops the

40 hp
at 3000 rpm but the 29 hp is at 3600 rpm. The added weight of the 40 hp
over the 29 hp is 98 lbs each so I do not think that this is major

factor.

Yes it is. 200# added disp, at the stern, plus higher fuel consumption
(have you thought about putting in bigger tanks?), is an issue on a
sailing cat IMHO. If you like the idea of sailing slower plus having to
scrape barnacles off the stern platforms, then I guess it's no big deal.

It sounds like you're leaning towards the bigger engines anyway. Like I
said, most people seem to have a love affair with horsepower. I don't
share it, maybe I got it out of my system or maybe I'm just jealous

DSK