Tom R.

Default Conserving food without a fridge

When we used to cruise with our children, Jan would make casseroles and
freeze them into virtually cement blocks. Then we would locate an ice house
where the blocks of ice were as solid as material compressed in a black
hole. The casserole blocks would go into the bottom of the ice chest which
in our boat had to be 4 feet deep and topped by those ice blocks which were
beyond penetration by the ordinary ice pick. It would take several days for
those casserole blocks to reach a semi-defrosted state, but we would have a
week long menu of terrific dinners. As the children grew and grew away from
sailing with Mom and Dad, we discovered Lean Cuisine and similar packaged
foods. You can get a lot at places such as Eastern Mountain Sports and REI,
but they tend to be heavily salted and spare. I have fond memories of a
night in Cuttyhunk when a friend with a powerboat tied up alongside our 30
foot sloop. All he had on board was a terrific cut of beef. All we had was a
ton of Lean Cuisines. That night we dined on thinly sliced prime rib,
lobster newburg, chicken al fresco wth penne and a ton of other fun foods
topped off with a couple of gallons of Chardonnay. A couple of candles on
the salon table and it was a terrific evening of food, wine and banter.
Those are the memories.

I will not tell you what happened the next morning when barnacles blocked
the head discharge hose.

Tom

"Glen "Wiley" Wilson" wrote in
message ...
On 27 Jul 2004 02:03:01 -0700, (Steve
Smith) wrote:

Hi

Having read that cheese could be stored in oil for long periods I
tried this and found that hard cheese (cheddar) in vegetable oil was
still OK after 8 months (tested at home).

Has anyone else any tips for other long term storage without a fridge
or ice box? Can other items be stored in oil or other mediums?

Regards

Steve

Remove defcv if replying by email.

Not exactly on point, but this site:

http://www.internet-grocer.net/Shop/

may interest you. The canned meats and cheese are of excellent
quality. They also have some eclectic survival/outdoors products that
make sense on boats

Glen "Wiley" Wilson usenet1 SPAMNIX at worldwidewiley dot com
To reply, lose the capitals and do the obvious.

Take a look at cpRepeater, my NMEA data integrator, repeater, and
logger at http://www.worldwidewiley.com/