Francis William Oldroyd

Default Daft Beginner Questions!

In article ,
Charlie wrote:

"Ewan Scott" wrote in message
Good luck. Piece of advice. Learn to roll as soon as you can. It
makes life a whole lot easier if you can roll when you start
taking the boat all the way over in High Brace and Sculling and
HB on the Move.

Ha! It's not like I haven't been trying! I just can't seem to get
the oomph to get the boat all the way over. I can get it about
half way up then it falls back down! Maybe something more suited
to me will be easier. Good job I like swimming really...

If your head comes out of the water and then you roll back down again,
almost certainly you are using the roll action to bring your head out
of the water (too soon) rather than turning the kayak.

The head comes out of the water after the kayak has rotated back past
the vertical. This is where Mike's push with the knee comes in, it
starts the kayak rotating back to the surface. You can help keep your
head in the water by looking at the paddle blade as you sweep it out
to the side of the kayak and roll back up.

The hip flick, or pushing with the knee and keeping your head down can
be learnt by practising eskimo rescues. When you start to do them it
is sometimes really hard to get back up, but if you experiment with
the technique using a hip flick, or knee push to first rotate the
kayak, you suddenly find a way of doing it that is really easy.

[High brace - hasn't this proved to be a good technique for
dislocating a shoulder ?. I don't normally teach a high brace because
of this. Am I wrong ?.]

Bill

--
Dan,Rob,Bill and Celia Oldroyd. We live in Tadcaster, UK.
http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/oldieshome/