J. Allan

Default Sailing and RSI..

"Stefan Lloyd" wrote in message

"Arwen Lune" wrote in message
However, I have, or
rather have had, RSI (repetitive strain injury for those who
wonder). I am healed now and fully functioning again, but my hands
will always be a bit of a weak point. I am a bit worried about how
much this will be a problem on board.
I'd like to hear some input from you people, especially those who
have sailed on a tall ship and/or with the Youth Trust. If you have
healthy hands, did yours ever hurt from the work? (I don't mean
blisters, but internal) What is the hardest/heaviest tasks you
performed? Do you think my hands will give me much trouble during
the trip?

Sorry but I think your hands will give you trouble.

Possibly, but I think the better course is to give it a try.

Sailing involves a lot of pulling as hard as you can on ropes.

Not necessarily: the cruising world (and certain strata of the
competitive world) is full of people who couldn't pull the skin off a
rice custard and wouldn't know how to try. More generously, as others
have posted, there is ample opportunity, in the non-competitive world,
to arrange and regulate your physical involvement to accomodate any
pain, discomfort or disability you may experience.

You need to be able to grip hard, or wrap the rope around your hand

and pull.

Prolly not so much on a Tall Ship: not so much 6mm Spectra as 2 inch
laid rope, which is quite easy to grip. Ronstan also make sailing
gloves with 'sticky' palms which helps gripping ropes: can't say I've
noticed the difference myself, but it may help a bit.

John