Duncan Heenan

Default Sailing and RSI..

"Stefan Lloyd" wrote in message

"Arwen Lune" wrote in message
However, I have, or
rather have had, RSI (repetitive strain injury for those who
wonder). I am healed now and fully functioning again, but my hands
will always be a bit of a weak point. I am a bit worried about how
much this will be a problem on board.
I'd like to hear some input from you people, especially those who
have sailed on a tall ship and/or with the Youth Trust. If you have
healthy hands, did yours ever hurt from the work? (I don't mean
blisters, but internal) What is the hardest/heaviest tasks you
performed? Do you think my hands will give me much trouble during
the trip?

Sorry but I think your hands will give you trouble. Sailing involves a lot
of pulling as hard as you can on ropes. You need to be able to grip hard,
or wrap the rope around your hand and pull.

I can't agree with the last bit. Wrapping a rope around your hand is risky
and should not be done. You must
always be able to let go in an emergency.
If the rope pulls back your hand can become trapped in a block or similar
and give you a serious injury. Don't do it, or if you do, don't complain
when you get hurt.