William Grant

Default red ensign to be scrapped

This was a proposal by a Spanish Green MEP that just happened to get a
majority in the Transport Committee on that day- I am assured by the
Conservative Spokesman on the Committee that she is confident of getting the
EPP-ED Group ( ie the biggest group in the Parliament) to support her when
we vote against that proposal in the January plenary meeting of the
Parliament. So it is likely to be killed at that stage. In any event it
would only pass with support from the Council of Ministers which is also
unlikely and in any event it is contrary to the 1982 UN Convention on the
Law of the Sea.

I am afraid we cannot stop zany ideas coming from Green MEPs ( they are the
ones wrecking the German economy as well) On this occasion it would seem
they won a temporary skirmish but by no means the battle let alone the war.
I think we can be confident the Red Ensign will continue to fly but I will
be sure to be there to vote against the "Green's" proposal in January.
"Chris" wrote in message
om...
Under which nation does the fleet sail? Seems last I knew the UK wasn't
part of the EU.