Terence Lynock MSW

Default Newbee: how are square yard brases handled on tall ships ? - ThanX

The message
from "Jan Gelbrich" contains these words:

Thank You both, really interesting information. I have seen the tilted
winches
in a book, but those kind of illustrations do only show the technologies
installed, but
not how to use them ...

The Jarvis brace winch takes a little understanding in the way it works
and I only understand the basics, there are six tapered barrels one pair
for each yard - lower course, topsail and tgallent as I understand it,
when a spar is swung the amount of rope taken in onto one drum is not
equel to the amount paid out from its sister hence the need for the
tapers, for instance turning the spar to stbd would result in less rope
taken in from the stbd brace than would be paid out to the port brace so
one drum would take in less than its sister would pay out and vice
versa.
Early Jarvis brace winches were hand cranked but later versions could be
geared to a steam donkey engine to assist in hauling the big spars
around, the donkey could also be used for raising spars and many other
jobs, a very useful commodity on board any sailing ship,

regards, Terry