Jan Gelbrich

Default Newbee: how are square yard brases handled on tall ships ? - ThanX

"Terence Lynock" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Looks like you are still waiting for an answer or is my email up the
swannie again?, many large square riggers used Brace winches, usually
Jarvis brace winches which have six tapered drums and one brace winch to
each mast, herzogin cecilie when a sail training ship with Nord DL didnt
have brace winches, the cadets had to haul on them by hand through
snatch blocks fixed to ringbolts in the deck.
Although Harold Underhills plans show Jarvis brace winches on Cecilies
deck it is a mistake, she didnt have them at the time Underhill depicts
the ship without the poop extension that covered the donkey engine, they
may have been fitted later though when she was in service with Gustaf
Ericksons fleet,

regards, Terry

Thank You both, really interesting information. I have seen the tilted
winches
in a book, but those kind of illustrations do only show the technologies
installed, but
not how to use them ...
To be honest, I hoped that there maybe more sailmen around here who could
answer to this thread, but this seems to be a rather small group - anyway,
thank You !

greetings,
Jan