Jan Gelbrich

Default Newbee: how are square yard brases handled on tall ships ?

Hello,

I always wanted to know one thing about the handling of brases for square
yards:

On a tall sail ship of three masts, bark rigging consists of two square
rigged masts.
Letīs say each square rigged mast carries 5 sail yards.
Each yard has 10 brases, 5 to the left and 5 to the right.
That makes up 20 brases to handle on the ship.
AFAIK the brases are belayed on deck, on the ships sides.

Now: when this ship is about to make a turn, the yards are trimmed
simultaniously,
and it can be done rather quickly, as I saw - but I did not see the actual
work on deck ...

How do the sailmen handle those 20 brases alltogether on deck ?
How do they move them ? Is there a team technique behind it ?

Sorry for my bad English, I tried my best ...

I would appreciate any comments
Thanks and greeting from Germany.

Jan
(hobby modeller and maritime enthusiast)