Arved Sandstrom

Default What is this "pin" thing called?

"Vince Brannigan" wrote in message

[ SNIP ]
Belaying pins actually function as a machine. The pin protudes through
the pin rail. the "rope" comes down vertically past the pinrail and a
"turn" is takn around the tail of the pin. This changes the angle of
pull 90 degrees and allows more people to pull on the rope than if it
just came down vertically. The rope can also be attached to a
windlass. Friction between the rope and the pin rail adds to the work
load, but in a trained crew is also used to grab the rope while you
change hands or tie off the rope. the rope is tied off by taking a
"hitch" in the rope in which the standing part is crossed over itself
and dropped over the top of the pin. Pulling on the rope tightens down
the "belay knot" (yes its a knot) on the head of the pin

if the load is very heavy and you need more friction you can take a
second belay by taking a second turn aroun the tail and making a
"double belay".

All you guys know a little bit too much, which is disgusting me. I will soon
expound on either the exact details of how early 19th century cannons were
secured (complete with the nomenclature of the ropes), or ruminate on
careening, or perhaps speculate at length on the design of galley oar
blades.

AHS