Steven Shelikoff

Default Achilles Inflatables: Question

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 09:46:13 -0600, "Keith"
wrote:

I would HIGHLY recommend staying away from PVC no matter what. Stick with
Hypalon. PVC has a MUCH shorter life in the sun. If you just HAVE to do PVC,
keep it covered at all times when not using it.

While PVC does have a shorter life than hypalon when kept in the sun, he
does say that this is going to be a second inflatable and will be used
very little. As long as it's stored out of the sun when it's not being
used, there's no reason not to go with PVC. Also, for an inflatable
that is going to be used very little and probably stored much of the
time, the extra 26lbs of the Achilles really makes set up and packing
away much more of a PITA. However, the inflatable keel Achilles is nice
if you're gonna try and row it. It won't row very well, but will row a
whole lot better then the Zodiac, which will have you going in circles.

For a second boat that won't be used very much, lifespan in the sun
isn't much of an issue. So, I'd go with the Zodiac *if* you're going to
be motoring. If you want to row a little, get one with a keel. If you
want to row a lot, don't get an inflatable.

Steve

"Alex Moore" wrote in message
om...
Hey Guys: Thanks for you replies. Ken, I'm in the rough waters of New
England (Gloucester, MA. "Home of the Perfect Storm") & a Sea Eagle
wouldn't hold up too well (IMHO). As for Avon, there simply too much
money. I know they have an excellent rep. but I want to keep it @
around $1000.00. This is my second inflatable & will be used very
little.

I have narrowed my choices to a Zodiac "Cadet" C260 (8'6" 52 lbs. PVC)
w/ slatted floors. No keel. Cost $895.00 (excellent price). Also, we
have a Zodiac dealer in town that can service the boat if it has any
issues. The Zodiac looks well built, although I know that had some
issues in the past.

Then of course, the Achilles LEX-88 (8'8" 78 lbs. Hypalon) w/ wood
floors, inflatable keel & comes in @ $1010.00. Again another excellent
price. The weight issue bothers me a little. Also, these are varnished
floorboards & transom. That=some work to keep them looking decent!

As you can see, I'm really leaning towards to Zodiac. I know I won't
get the life out of it like a Achilles or Avon but if I could get 5-7
years, I would be happy.

Just an FYI. There's a Avon R260HP (air floor) that can be had for
$1675.00 but I think it's too much. Maybe I'll buy it. Damn, I wish
this could be an easy purchase. Thanks to everyone who chimed in!

Regards,

Alex

PS: If you in the market for an inflatable check out www.defender.com
These guys have the best prices & a HUGE inventory. They are in Conn.
so it's only a 2 hour trip for me so I can save $ on the shipping
charges.