Doug

Default Marine Radios

"Jerry" wrote in message

Some time back I posted a question about VHF’s and remote
control microphones. I ended up buying an Icom 402 and
their CommandMic. Installation was straight forward and
relatively easy except for the 6 meters of extension cable
for the CommandMic. This was a real chore snaking the cable
through the stern of the boat. The radio worked extremely
well and the CommandMic did everything it was supposed to do.

BUT

The third time we used the boat after the installation,
someone stumbled and hit the CommandMic plug on the
extension cable and it shattered. It turns out that this
plug is extremely flimsy. I called Icom’s technical support
and was told that they have had several reports of this
happening. They have passed the word on to the Japanese
factory and, supposedly, they are working on a solution.
Meanwhile, I’m out another $50 for a new extension cable and
a lot of work to both pull the wire and to figure out a good
way to protect it in the future.

Recommendation – If you buy an Icom with its CommandMic, be
certain to put the remote plug in a location where it can’t
be damaged. As flimsy as this plug is, I’d also be
extremely careful about pulling on the CommandMic cord.

Jerry

Jerry & Phyllis Vaughn Hunter 40
Corpus Christi, TX NoETA

Regarding the Icom Command mic and the radio connectors. Do NOT plug the
Command Microphone into the front panel microphone plug, even though it fits
OK. Only plug the Command Microphone/extensions into the rear panel
connector. In the fine print Icom mentions this will cause damage...really
good engineering there in the 402/502/602 series. They have designed it
customer proof.

Doug K7ABX