Larry

Default propeller engineering question

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 06:43:27 -0800, Lloyd Sumpter wrote:

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 06:29:27 +0000, Calif Bill wrote:

Hydro generators do use a propeller. They use a Peltier Bucket. Originally
designed for hydrulic mining in the California goldfields.
Bill

Close. Hydro plants DO use "propellers" - it's called a Franklin Turbine.
And the "Peltier Bucket" is a Pelton Wheel. OP could google those and get
some good information.

Lloyd Sumpter, BC Hydro Engineering

No flame and I'm not trying to split hairs, but I always thought that
turbines were designed based on volume and head. High pressure, low volume
used Pelton Wheels which are essentially high pressure jets aimed
tangentially at flat bladed turbines, while conventional (high volume, low
to mid pressure) used propellers which more closely resemble what we think
of as propellers. Is a Pelton wheel the same as a Franklin turbine?
Thanks,
--

Larry
email is rapp at lmr dot com