thunder

Default A place where liberal politics and yachting collided

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 19:30:25 -0700, Jonathan Ganz wrote:

I agree that spiraling oil prices will have an effect on our economy. In
fact, they have quite an observable effect. However, I believe we have the
wherewithal to overcome the adverse economic consequences. Not saying
you're a doomsayer. I'm saying that the doomsayers are wrong that the
economy will collapse.

One thing I have noticed over my years is that this country is incredibly
resilient. We have made mistakes, but we also have overcome them. IMHO
abandoning Carter's energy self-sufficient initiatives was a mistake.
Since then, our energy policy has been market driven leaving us vulnerable
to the whims of foreign interests. Oil may not be the primary reason for
the Iraq War, but no doubt it wasn't far from any of our minds.

I firmly believe we can ameliorate our dependence on oil, but it will take
a major national effort that has yet to enter mainstream debate. Whether
or not to drill an ANWR just isn't enough. It has been pretty clearly
established that roughly 1/2 the world's supply of oil has already been
burned. Now, that might not prove catastrophic in our lifetime, but I
fear we are leaving our children and their children headed for a
train-wreck.