Jonathan Ganz

Default A place where liberal politics and yachting collided

I agree that spiraling oil prices will have an effect on our
economy. In fact, they have quite an observable effect.
However, I believe we have the wherewithal to overcome
the adverse economic consequences. Not saying you're
a doomsayer. I'm saying that the doomsayers are wrong
that the economy will collapse.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"thunder" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 11:28:02 +1000, Peter Wiley wrote:

I don't think oil supplies are infinite at all. I merely think that

we'll
use something else when it becomes important to do so. Fuel cells for

one
example.

Notice how wireless comms is making copper based phone systems less
important? We used to wonder how the 3rd World could build a comms
infrastructure. Simple now.

Point is that doomsayers like you always cry like Chicken Little but the
date is always some time in the future. When that date comes around,

quiet
reigns - and another prediction is made for some future time.

Frankly your record sucks.

If it makes you comfortable to characterize me as a doomsayer so be it,
but frankly you don't know anything about my record. I entered this
thread in response to Jon's talk about a recession. As this country's
economy is based of cheap imported energy, any upward energy pricing will
have a major effect on it. As our domestic oil production peaked in 1970,
I find it difficult to comprehend this country not having a comprehensive
energy policy. I believe this only makes sense and is not doomsaying. By
the way, fuel cells show promise for a cleaner environment, but they are
not a energy source.