Joe Parsons

Default Another try: rec.boats ON-topic

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 15:13:55 GMT, "Paul" wrote:

A FAQ is nice but there is no policing to enforce it.
The only way to enforce is by reporting people to
their ISP. The ISPs don't act unless it's an obvious
and continuous problem. But even then, the person
can so easily get a different email or news-service
and be right back here.

This should be researched I guess.

My understanding is that ISPs take abuse seriously,

By and large, other than clear instances of spam, they really don't care.

they can't really afford
not to and it's easy enough for them to do. The

They still would have to devote time to it. Most ISPs just don't have those
resources--and really don't care if they did.

research would be provided
by the charter holder and simply double-checked by the ISP staff.

Your idealism is appealing--but it just doesn't work like that. Sorry.

The ISP
deals in volume so cutting off one customer is too small a number to have an
impact on revenue. The poster would then have to get an entirely new account
with a different ISP. I would think this would be good motivation for not
screwing around.

In fact I would be inclined to think that it would be resolved in the formal
warning phase.

News flash: we live in an imperfect world--and ISPs really don't care about
squabbles on Usenet. I did manage, after several months, to get one guy TOSed
for violating my copyright--but it cost me legal fees to do it. And that was a
*very* clear cut case.

Joe Parsons