Joe Parsons

Default Another try: rec.boats ON-topic

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 14:14:57 GMT, "Paul" wrote:

I think an FAQ or charter is a good idea. Here is a google link to the
can.rec.boating newsgroup charter.

http://www.google.ca/groups?q=group:...0ncf.ca&rnum=2

There are hundreds or possibly thousands of politics newsgroups both
moderated and unmoderated for these guys to move to so I don't see the need
for the creation of something new. If you feel like doing it and have the
time/energy then fill your boots although they're probably perfectly capable
of doing that if they want it.

Policing the group then becomes easy because with a charter a serial OT
poster can get reported to his ISP's abuse@ address and have his connection
yanked.

Hate to burst your bubble, but ISPs are in general quite uninterested in Usenet
abuse--for that matter, they are quite uninterested in Usenet in general. And
in the unlikely some miscreant *did* get TOSed off by his ISP, there's always
Teranews and Altopia, who really don't give a rat's ass about newsgroup
charters, FAQs, topicality or appropriateness.

Hear me now, believe me later. It's true. I've been through it.

As for the thought that this OT stuff is like dockside chatter I have to
admit that I haven't seen any bickering or name calling in my marina.

Gee. Why do you suppose that is?

Conversational topics usually remain away from charged topics and when it
inadvertently strays there the conversation shifts, seemingly without
effort, to safe waters.

Amazing, isn't it?

Joe Parsons

So I can't say that I see the OT stuff as being like
dockside chatter.