Michael

Default Boat Speed

This one gets interesting as it depends on which nautical mile you are
using. The traditional standard is 6080 feet. The non-metric Navy's of the
world use a standard of 6,000 feet or 2,000 yards. 6,000 feet divides into
shots, fathoms, and leagues equally as well. Then there is the metric
version. 39.54" to the yard of three standard feet. The original
measurement was derived by dividing the world circumference at the equator
(or any great circle) into timezones (24) and degrees (360 total and 15 per
time zone) with each degree equalling a certain distance easily measured on
land. Not bad for the days before satellites and with sail the difference
was negligible. Now of course we know the earth is slightly pear shaped but
even with our 25 to 30 knot ships we still use 6,000 feet to one nm as our
standard.

Three ancillary questions.

At the equator, or on any great circle how many statue miles, how many
nautical miles and how many kilometers equal one degree?

Which of those standards is used on most speedos?

Which of those standards is used on GPS systems?

And just to make it a real high point question (ask Bart how many) are we
talking SOG or SOW?

The above should keep the techno types busy for a while, whilst Katy and I
observe yet another gorgeous sunset . .. . separately of course.

M.

"Bart Senior" wrote in message
. ..
1point each

How many feet/second is a boat moving at 6 knots?

How many meters/second is a boat moving at 10 knots?