Peter S/Y Anicula

Default Racing Question #24

OzOne wrote:

Nope, Usually in a small fleet there's tons of gaps to jump into and
at 30 seconds to go there's still plenty of time to slot into one at
full steam.
Even at 10 to go, you can be off the sterns of the early birds and
going hard for a slot.

Bit more difficult when you get 50 or 60 boats on the line, but then

newby probably wouldn't be in there anyway.

In our Wednesday night races the startline is often not quite 90
degrees to the wind. The line is usually not very long, compared to
the number of starting boats. This sometimes results in quite chaotic
situations close to the favourable mark.
A newbie would most likely be better of at the unfavourable end of the
line, staying out of trouble and getting clear air.

Did I mention getting clear air?

No, but you should have.

Peter S/Y Anicula

OzOne skrev i en meddelelse
On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 12:48:23 +0200, "Peter S/Y Anicula"
scribbled thusly:

The one thing that I think is most decisive would be to tack with

the
windshifts, preferable without getting out on a limb.

OzOne wrote:

Get a good start, stay out of trouble and stay with the fleet.

Sounds reasonable enough, but isn't getting a good start and

staying
out of trouble somewhat contradictive ?

Peter S/Y Anicula

Nope, Usually in a small fleet there's tons of gaps to jump into and
at 30 seconds to go there's still plenty of time to slot into one at
full steam.
Even at 10 to go, you can be off the sterns of the early birds and
going hard for a slot.

Bit more difficult when you get 50 or 60 boats on the line, but then

newby probably wouldn't be in there anyway.

Did I mention getting clear air?

Oz1...of the 3 twins.