Doug Meredith

Default buying a boat from another state

"David Ditch" wrote in message
I do know that any boat brought into MD will pay a 5% fee/tax.
I don't mean to avoid tax, I just don't want to pay 2 of them.
Reading some old posts, it looks like if I buy from a PA dealer but take
delivery in MD (have them trailer it to me maybe), then I don't pay PA

tax.

Can anyone confirm this specifically from PA to another state?

You should be fine if you don't register it in Pa. Buy the boat, get
title, and go to Maryland to register it. Maryland title and tax. Thats
how I did it when I bought a boat in Pa and brought into NJ. Doesn't
matter where you take delivery.

Md will screw you into paying tax again if you pay in Pa. Happened to me
with a car that I had just bought before I moved to Md. They made me pay
5% even thought it was paid in NJ.