DSK

Default Impress me with your genius! [15 points]

Bart Senior wrote:

Another question inspired by a Dutch sailor. I caught on
to what he was doing, because I was not occupied with
anything else at the time. No one else on board did.

Impress me with your genius! [15 points]

While motor sailing, close hauled, you trim your jib so that it is
slightly luffing?

Why would you do this?

Not sure, maybe to maximize VMG... in lulls, the motor keeps the boat
driving & pointing high, in gusts the apparent wind shifts aft & the
sail drives the boat more. It may also make it easier to balance the
helm with the sails.

Also, if you have your sails up you can claim ROW over motorboats, and
they aren't smart enough to see it's luffing

Fresh Breezes- Doug King