Wayne B

Default Achilles Inflatables: Question

(Alex Moore) wrote in message . com...
Hi All: Just purchased a new Eastern 24' boat. These boats represents
a "Maine" lobster looking type of boat & it will be for pleasure only.
I want to buy a small inflatable that I will keep on top of the roof
(outside) of the cabin. Hence, I want to keep the weight down
considerably, so it will be easier to remove & throw into the water.
Also, I just bought a small 2HP Honda four stroke that weights in @ 27
lbs.

I looked @ some Achilles inflatbales (LEX88)& they are made from
Hypalon. I was told that Hypalon holds up much better then PVC
inflatables. I spoke with a Achilles dealer & he said Hypalon in glued
together vs. machine made PVC & that Hypalon holds up better in warmer
climates. We live in New England, so this doesn't apply up here. I'm
saying to myself "Geez...This guy is a Achilles dealer & he's saying,
don't buy Hypalon inflatable if you live in a colder area" Doesn't
make any sense! Is he not trying the sell a boat or what? Maybe he's
just being honest.

I like the Achilles a lot. I do have a older (6 years old) "Force
Four" rigid-hulled inflatable that's PVC & it's been a gem!!!! I just
deflate it every year & store it under our deck outside & put a cover
over it. Force Four are no longer sold in the US anymore, what a pity
considering I would buy another one on the spot! I guess I'm looking
for some insight from you. Should I buy a PVC or Hypalon inflatable?
BTW, keep in mind that this inflatable will get used maybe 10 times in
a short New England season.

Here's a couple of other inflatables I looked at:

West Marine (Made by Zodiac): Not bad looking rig.
Avon: Great but way too expensive for me!
Quicksliver (Mercury) line: On the ropes with QS. Heard that their not
the best.
Zodiac: Too pricy.
Achilles: Looks good @ a decent price!

I own both an Achilles and an Avon. The Achilles is a good value for
the money
but the Avon is superior in virtually all respects. This is
particularly true for the accessories such as oars, air pump and the
floor boards. My advice would be to get the Avon if you can afford
it, especially if long term durability and ease of use are important
to you.