Peter Wiley

Default How to service and keep in service a dry powder extinguisher

In article , Flying Tadpole
wrote:

Nav wrote:

What I don't understand is the objection to Halon when cars lose more
refrigerant every day than is used in controlling boat fires. lets face
facts, a fire a sea is a huge threat to life and a few Kg of Halon will
put out a fire much better than powder -especially a fuel fire in a bilge!

Also was the most effective for car fires too--squirt under the
bonnet--slam shut---wait.

Nav, halon extinguishers were an easy target for the ozone layer
protection punchup. Carbon tet through to all the br/cl/F/C
combinations reacts with ozone spectacularly, and as most don't
really think of have experience with fires and fire
extinguishers, a soft option was to outlaw halon extinguishers.
Hardly a murmu. Instant outlawing of fridges and old car
a/c's...wow, wht a noise that would be.

The ozone hole still amuses me, though. I suspect it always was,
and always will be....but then I have professional cause to
mistrust save-the-world-stay-green propaganda, spouted by the
masters of moral violence, and the resultant cynicism and
mistrust can get in the way.

Talking about Greenpeace again? One of my fav memories of those idiots
is from a video they shot down south trying to get in the way of a
Japanese whaler. They violated pretty much every ColReg there is and
had the audacity to claim it was all the Japanese vessel's fault.

They were damn lucky the Japanese skipper didn't just tromp them under
and sink them; must have crossed his mind. What they deserved for such
stupidity. We had some whale observers aboard one of our vessels on one
cruise, one was Greenpeace & showed us the video thinking we'd approve
of their actions. She got ripped to pieces. Why they don't get
prosecuted and the officers have their tickets pulled is a mystery to
me.

None of us think highly of whaling, BTW. It was the lies, reckless
endangerment of human life in a hostile environment and the sheer
contempt for other peoples' rights that got to us. I give them and
their Green Left fellow idiots nothing except my opinion.

PDW