Nav

Default How to service and keep in service a dry powder extinguisher

Fine be damned -they'll have to find mine first!

Cheers

Peter Wiley wrote:

AFAIK there's an exemption for ships. We still have halon for engine
room fires. Just as well too.

PDW

In article , Nav
wrote:

What I don't understand is the objection to Halon when cars lose more
refrigerant every day than is used in controlling boat fires. lets face
facts, a fire a sea is a huge threat to life and a few Kg of Halon will
put out a fire much better than powder -especially a fuel fire in a bilge!

Cheers

Flying Tadpole wrote:

Heh. four years ago we had to clean up 8kg of loose stuff that
got dropped in the shed. COuld hardly use it for servicing
extinguishers once it had collected the spiders, small nail,
stones and other things on shed floors. Damn stuff's like
quickselver (when it's not caked). What impressed me was how much
went straight through the vacuum and out again....

Nav wrote:

And a large vaccuum cleaner for those small fires.

Cheers

Flying Tadpole wrote:

1. Inspect pressure gauge (where fitted). If it's out of the
green, get it professionally serviced anyway (or if a cheapie,
buy a new one). If it's dribbling powder, ditto.
2. Alongside your ear, tilt the extinguished gently. If the
powder is properly free, you should both hear it and feel the
transfer of weight as it literally flows from one end of the
extinguisher to the other.
3. if 2. doesn't work at all, or not much, grab a rubber tyre
mallet or other padded mallet (but NOT a sledgehammer, or
anything that will give a really sharp blow).
4. With the mallet, tap the base of the extinguisher gently until
the dry powder flows as in 2. If it's badly caked, this may take
a lot of taps. AVoid the temptation to beat the sh*t out of it
after the fifteenth tap.
5. Regularly (eg each time you're down at the boat) give it both
a shake and turn upside down lsitening to the powder flow. if it
doesn't, reservice.
6. throw out those teeny extinguishers and get at least a 1.5kg,
in multiples.

wrote:

This is exactly why you should have multiple ABC extinquishers, placed
strategically around the boat. The C.G. minimums are woefully inadequate.
Buy
bigger, and more. Here's a little tip to make sure they are working when
you
need them: When routinely safety checking your boat, remove each
extinguisher

from it's bracket and shake the hell out of it. The main reason for failure in

these extinguishers, besides leakdown, is caking of the powder.

BB