Gould 0738

Default Interesting book

My 2 cents..

I think the movie industry missed an opportunity to contribute some of their
resources to the possible recreation of such a vessel, for real..

There is ample justification for feeling that way, but as a practical matter
most of the money spent building such a vessel would be wasted. The plot
involves not only the ship, but the vessel's interaction with the sea. Pretty
expensive to send a boat to Cape Horn and wait for a storm to come up. :-)
(and pretty difficult to film from the deck of another boat also heaving around
in the mess).

Many of the interior shots have to be done on a movie set to provide enough
light, the proper acoustics, and the huge amount of room required to set up
cameras, booms,
etc.

There are some actual shots of Cape Horn in the film, that were taken from the
"Endeavor". "Endeavor" was making the voyage, and the movie company got
permission to send a film crew along.
When you see Cape Horn from the water vantage point, that's Cape Horn and not
CGI.

The production company bought a sail training ship in Rhode Island, the "Rose",
and sailed it through the Panama Canal to San Diego. In San Diego, "Rose" was
remodeled to resemble a frigate. The scenes in the movie that use a vessel
actually under sail (and apparently there are only a few) use the "Rose".

"Rose" sailed from RI in January, and encountered 70-knot winds off the
Atlantic coast. This so damaged the core of the rig
that even after repairs in Puerto Rico....

"We were sailing along in glorious Caribbean weather, and in the space of about
ten-seconds, the top gallant mast belw to pieces. I was on deck and for some
reason I glanced up and watched it go. I can still see it quite vivedly, right
now.
It took the topgallant sail on its yard, and that fell forward, landing on some
rigging. We're talking about stuff that's a hundred, a hundred and ten feet off
the deck. That lot landed on lines which go to the next sail, so broke that
yard. We went from sailing beautifully to having all these spars and riggings
just dangling like some mobile from hell!"