Flying Tadpole

Default All 11 myths

OzOne wrote:

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 10:45:12 +0930, Flying Tadpole
scribbled thusly:

OzOne wrote:

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 17:05:18 -0700, "Jonathan Ganz"
scribbled thusly:

I'm sorry... I was thinking catamaran/trimaran....

On the multis when it gets really tough, the centreboard/boards are
pulled up to save them, allow the boat to be pushed sideways and to
stop it tripping over the boards.

And indeed, I was always told, by my designer among others, that
that is also what should be done in centreboarders in those
conditions.

Whhhh oooeeee Baby...now that would take some balls!

I suspect that it would take some balls-up to begin with: it's
for survival conditions, eg in a SydneyHobart weather bomb, and
any sane centreboarder would either have been close to shelter or
heading north I would have thought. This is why i don't see Lady
Kate as a large-ocean-crosser. :^|

Anyway, never having been in survival conditions:
Then again pulling it partially up would work.

It does. This I've done on beats in aprticularly bad chop and
30knot winds on the Murray Lakes (remember, no wave5') to stop tripping and knocking down. But in those conditions, the hard chine to leeward is dug right in (and can be dug harder if the traveller is brought up a bit) so leeway isn't too bad at all.

But the thought of slithering sideways on a breaking wave in a
storm off Wedge Island just doesn't appeal, somehow.

--
Flying Tadpole

Break Away, Sail Away and putz away
now at http://music.download.com/internetopera