Wally

Default SAILING GROUNDS

Capt. Mooron wrote:

I am but a sweet, innocent, fresh-faced n00b, so my list is short...

I'm certain that list will expand in leaps and bounds since you seem
to hold the adventurous spirit required of true mariners.

We'll see how it goes - the plan for this season is to build experience by
crewing on the Sonata, while I work on my own boat. Once Hispaniola goes in,
I'll be looking to get into some cruising. (Can't do cruising other than
daysails on the Sonata because the skipper's wife is poorly and he can't be
away from home for too long.)

The Firth Of Forth (racing twice a week). Estuary, marina is at the
narrowest point, hilly on both sides, conditions are always variable.

Excellent.... a true test of skill for a newbie.

That's what I like about the place - loads of variety in a small area. The
last two weekends have been flat calm, hot sun, bit of sea breeze one day;
strong winds, lumpy chop and pishin' rain the other. Last Saturday, we had a
'new boy' dinghy sailor as stand-in crew - we were short-handed - he was
decidedly unwell (and lacking a clue, considering he's done more RYA dinghy
training than me). He didn't come back for the suntan, slow drift and
cancelled races the following Sunday...

Bob can't use a Radar

Ain't got one o' them.

You will

Not this week! :-) But I'm up for that sort of gubbins when I have the sort
of boat that warrants it.

Bob can't navigate

Learned a bit, but have some way to go yet.

At least you are making an attempt!

Oh, for sure. I'm comfortable with map&compass work on land, so it seems
only right to learn the 'trade' on water as well.

Bob is terrified to sail into anything.... including a wind over 20
knots or out of the bay. ;-)

He's still to show us his spinnaker doing something more exciting than
hanging out to dry in 2 knots... I suppose he's trying to toughen up his
crew of waifs and strays before they risk hoisting it in 3!

--
Wally
www.artbywally.com