otnmbrd

Default ship anchor hitting smaller vessel

Normal on a merchant, is two people .... in a emergency, one.
Looking first, is a highly abused step in the letgo procedure.

otn

Rod McInnis wrote:

"garry crothers" wrote in message

So how many people are talking about here to drop this anchor?????

I was on the deck of a Coast Guard Cutter and watched the anchor dropping
proceedure. It involved at least 8 people. There was one guy with the sledge
hammer to knock the paw loose. Another manning the brake. One guy who I
think was counting the markers on the chain. One guy to call out the
response to the command, and another guy who's job appeared to be to repeat
everything the first guy said, another guy with a headset on that I would
assume was talking to the bridge, and a couple more that just seemed to be
watching.

All very precise and by the book. And no, I don't recall anyone looking
over the side to make sure it was clear below.

I also watched a cruise ship drop anchor. They did it with two people on
deck. I don't recall them looking over the side either.

Rod McInnis