Thom Stewart

Default Incredible learning experience

And No Jax,

While you are in a good mood and properly set up.

You have the definition of the "Chord"
I asked you to locate the "Chord" on the flat Sail.

Now, remembering YOUR DEFINITION, if you drew a line from the Peak of
the sail to the bottom Leech corner; Wouldn't that be a "CHORD" for the
curve of the ROACH?? (Jump little fish, you have been hooked again!)

Now, draw another line from the Peak to the Tack corner at the Boom.
That straight line, or CHORD would show the curve in the Tack, which
will produce the Belly in the sail. ( On both sides ;^) I"m pulling you
in Little Fish for my catch and release )

So, now Jax we have two "CHORDS" and yet no straight line from the
leading edge to the trailing edge (Pass me the net while I land this
Little Fish (G)!)

Jax, when we run the sail up the Mast or the Fore Stay, the curve in the
leading edge becomes straight and the excess forms a curve in both sides
of the sail, which when a delta P is created will take the shape of an
Airfoil. This my friend can be MEASURED by a straight line from the
Leading edge (TACK) to the Trailing edge (LEECH) (Hand me the pliers so
I can turn "Little Fishy" loose!)

I'll see you again "LITTLE FISH" if you want to talk Effects of TRIMMING
for Newton's Laws of Motion. If not, So be it!!

Ole Thom