Rick

Default Dealing with a boat fire, checking for a common cause

Joe wrote:

You're right, in his situation a GFCI probably wouldn't have tripped, but a
AFCI (Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter) would have.
I've seen 50amp GFCI's for around $150, but I have no idea how much a AFCI
would cost (if even available at that amperage).

I don't know either if AFCI's are available over 20 amps, that is as
high as I have seen them. Can't imagine why the technology couldn't be
applied to any breaker size though. Maybe there isn't a market for them
above those required by the codes.

If they are available, don't cost too much, and would work upstream of
multiple branch circuits I would seriously consider building one into my
switchboard. My shorepower cord is hardwired to the switchboard and
would not benefit from an AFCI.

Rick