Joe

Default 50 MPH sailing this weekend

DSK wrote in message ...
Joe wrote:
Well John did not need the face plate or helmet, Got no were near 50
knots.

Top speed was 28 knots according to the knot meter.

Hmm, the times I have sailed that fast, the spray did kind of sting.

when up to that speed I was near the south shore to get out of the
chopp,
The front of the boat is very wide and spray misses you all together.

... Was fun but you
almost need a special lake to get the most out of it. We had quite a
chop on the lake and the thing was prone to pourpose in anything over
2 foot. The tacking and jibeing was a blast, 2 g + turns quick as
lighting. It was like a ice boat I guess (never been on one) but it
was very flat ride and cut like a knife.

I wonder if the control sensors for the foil were set up with properly.
This is one of the keys to getting a foil craft to work... it either
needs to have full range inherent stability, which adds drag, or have a
control system that responds proportionally to changes in pitch & heel.
The system used by the Hobie was worked out by a fellow named Ketterman.

Yelp Greg Ketterman. Same system used on his record setting boat. I
think it was set up right, just not capable of anything over 2 foot in
a chopp, if it was a 2 foot swell then it would be a problem, but the
lake was being ripped up by memorial weekend speedboaters.

It was a great feeling when it lifted up off the water and blasted
off. Its a rich boys toy for sure. You would need a special lift to
store it, unless you wanted to go thru assembling it every time you
use it. If you had a lake house and a wide lift it would be a great
toy. If they come to your area sign up for a test sail.

heh heh they claim it takes "15 minutes" to assemble and rig from the
trailer. Anyway, I would like to try sailing the Hobie Tri-Foiler. I've
heard a lot about them and would like to compare them to the Rave. It's
a shame they don't get together and have a shootout regatta.

The rave seems alot cheaper quality, but same principle. Was a used
one for sale here last year and the guy wanted 6.5K.

Both the rave and the Tri-foilers were ideals ripped off from a guy
that made the first one in the 80's.

Just wonder how long it will be before a BIG one is made to compete
with the big cats like clubmed.

Joe

Fresh Breezes- Doug King