DSK

Default 50 MPH sailing this weekend

Joe wrote:
Well John did not need the face plate or helmet, Got no were near 50
knots.

Top speed was 28 knots according to the knot meter.

Hmm, the times I have sailed that fast, the spray did kind of sting.

... Was fun but you
almost need a special lake to get the most out of it. We had quite a
chop on the lake and the thing was prone to pourpose in anything over
2 foot. The tacking and jibeing was a blast, 2 g + turns quick as
lighting. It was like a ice boat I guess (never been on one) but it
was very flat ride and cut like a knife.

I wonder if the control sensors for the foil were set up with properly.
This is one of the keys to getting a foil craft to work... it either
needs to have full range inherent stability, which adds drag, or have a
control system that responds proportionally to changes in pitch & heel.
The system used by the Hobie was worked out by a fellow named Ketterman.

It was a great feeling when it lifted up off the water and blasted
off. Its a rich boys toy for sure. You would need a special lift to
store it, unless you wanted to go thru assembling it every time you
use it. If you had a lake house and a wide lift it would be a great
toy. If they come to your area sign up for a test sail.

heh heh they claim it takes "15 minutes" to assemble and rig from the
trailer. Anyway, I would like to try sailing the Hobie Tri-Foiler. I've
heard a lot about them and would like to compare them to the Rave. It's
a shame they don't get together and have a shootout regatta.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King