Tony Thomas

Default Slecting an outboard motor

Bottom line is you never have too much power. You can always back off but
you cannot add. You want the 140 or 135 depending on manufacturer. Contact
all the local dealers you can find about a used motor. Also search the web.
I would rather have a good used 135 or 140 instead of a new 115 that is not
going to be enough power in the long run. You have to remember this is a
heavy 16.5 boat.

--
Tony
My boats and autos - http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"Splitpair" wrote in message
.. .
Are there any guides to assist one with selecting the correct hoursepower
outboard motor based on boat size and intended use?

The boat is a 16.5 ft Chapparrel that is rated for 140hp. Powering the

boat
at that rating is over my budget and was trying to find what I can expect
with smaller hp motors. Trying to attain a compromise between speed and

WOT.

SP